According to the Acting Director of ICT, Dr Toyin Enikuomehin, there are some must-dos that will ensure that staff and students’ email accounts are “healthy and safe” whenever in use.
Accordingly, some of the steps are as follows for Google account users.
- Do a Security Check of your Account
- This will help you get personalized recommendations for your Google account.
- To do this, click on myaccount.google.com/security
- On visit, the domain will reveal past and present activities of the account, the list of devices associated with the account, list of third-party access and personalized recommendations on what is to be done.
- On completion of the above return to ensure you set your recovery phone and email address as these will help you block someone from using your account, it will alert you if there’s suspicious activity on your account, and also help you to recover your account if you’re ever locked out.
- Ensure your 2-step verification is turned on
- Helps prevent the bad guy from getting into your account even if they steal your password.
- Remove risky access to your account and turn off access for apps that use less secure sign-in technology
- Turn on Screen Lock. This will protect the devise from being used without permission.
Other hints are:
- Remove Apps and browser extensions that are not needed
- Always use strong passwords.
The few steps mentioned above will be of very great benefits in ensuring account safety if followed accordingly. This applies to both Mobile and Desktop users.